Tuesday, September 15, 2009

What's In the Netflix Queue #25

Arriving at my door soon (and foreign heavy this time around):

1. It's All About Love- Danish filmmaker Thomas Vinterburg's futuristic tale starring Joaquin Phoenix and Claire Danes. No idea on this one, but it sounds promising.
2. Fuzz- One of the more entertaining nicknames for our good 'ol boys in blue, "Fuzz" stars Burt Reynolds. It reads like pure 70's schlock- Reynolds trying to stop Yul Brenner from blowing up the city- and right up my alley.
3. Maitresse- Barbat Schroeder's early 70's film with Gerard Depardieu. You know, Scroeder has never really been on my radar, but looking over his films, there are lots of interesting titles there. I hope to see more in the future.
4. A Secret- French director Claude Miller's drama about "a boy in post-World War II Paris who stumbles upon a mysterious toy in the attic, exposing his family's secret dark past and how it survived Nazi atrocities."
5. Sukiyaki Western Django- The ever prodigious Takashi Miike's weird sounding western (?) from a couple years ago. I expect insane things.
6. In July- Directed by one of my favorite modern filmmakers, Fatih Akin, I don't know how I missed this film made right before his stunning 2006 film, "Head-On". "In July" promises more of Akin's free-floating, star crossed lover theme as a professor and street vendor cross paths and fall in love.
7. Songs From the Second Floor- I gave this film a shot a few years ago, and couldn't make it through it. Swedish filmmaker Roy Andersson is being lauded in many circles, so I thought maybe the time was right for a revisit.
8. Smiley's People (3 discs)- My appetite for spy films is insatiable, so while searching through endless user lists and recommendations on Netflix, I came upon this early 80's TV series starring Alec Guiness as a spy brought out of retirement to catch a criminal (Patrick Stewart). Based on a John Le Carre novel. If you've seen it, I'd love to hear your thoughts. British mini-series are hit and miss... some dry beyond belief and some terrific.
9. Danton- Andrzej Wadja's 80's epic about the life of two French Revolution fighters and the aftermath. I recently saw Wadja's "Katyn", which proves the old master hasn't lost it (including a stunning final ten minutes) and his 1960 film "Ashes and Diamonds" still reigns as one of my first and most influential introductions to foreign cinema. Plus, its Criterion.
10. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban- Ok, full disclosure. Until a month or so ago, I'd never cared to see any of these films. Then I caught the first one on TV and found it to be immensely entertaining commercial fare. Part Two, with giant spiders and all, proved to be even darker and more mature. I hear this one is even darker. I really need to get over my bias for "children" movies like this and Pixar stuff (which I've only seen the Toy Story movies). I think I may be missing some really good stuff.

2 comments:

TALKING MOVIEzzz said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Joe Baker said...

Thanks for the heads up on "It's All About Love". Too little time for really crappy movies.