Saturday, January 02, 2010

I Think TCM Programmers Are Reading This Blog

A few months ago, I started a series of posts dedicated to calling out some lost films not yet released on DVD. Through the kindness of some blog readers as well as dear friends, I've managed to catch up with a few of these films on bootleg DVD or old VHS tapes (all, mind you, without paying a dime for them... thank you again). And now Turner Classic Movies is really stepping up their programming. It's not that I haven't been looking, but over the past 6 months to a year, TCM has seemingly mixed up their programming to feature some real oddities and gems. The inclusion of their TCM Underground Friday night slot is a much appreciated welcome to the treasure trove of the exploited, weird and cheesy, but it's something more than that. Among the hard to find Billy Wilder, William Wellman or Anthony Mann classics, TCM has tossed in screenings of Hal Ashby's "The Landlord" (which was on one of my lists), Blake Edward's "The Carey Treatment" and a host of other not on DVD efforts. Now in January, in addition to their spotlight on the Russian Revolution (which will bring about a rare look at John Huston's "The Kremlin Letter" as well as more mainstream stuff like "Reds" and "Ninotchka"), they go and program two, two Jerzy Skolimowski films from the 70's- one of them being "The Shout" which was listed on my third Produced and Abandoned post. With that, we also get to see his 1970 film "The Deep End" which I've read or heard little about. Bravo TCM.

I highly doubt that Robert Osborne is reading my blog, but it's fun to see that my cinematic subconscience is sending waves out into the universe. Maybe TCM is just picking up on them. Whatever it is, I'll keep sending them if they keep showing great movies.

No comments: