Monday, December 24, 2012

What's In the Netflix Queue #36

Been a while for this! Interspersed among the bevy of older titles in my current queue sits a handful of 2012 films I missed. This is my favorite time of year... everyone is coming out with their best of lists and I myself am scurrying to catch up and watch a flurry of movies for my own favorites of the year. So, the next ten titles in my queue:

1. The Turin Horse (2012)- Bela Tarr's cinematic sensibility hasn't quite caught on with my tastes yet, but his latest film has landed resoundingly on so many critics lists (and some of the ones I respect I most) that I feel its worth a shot.

2. Mr. Arkadin (1962)- Orson Welles' Cold War thriller sound intriguing, yet its one of his films that I never hear mentioned. Why?

3. Winter In Wartime (2009)- Described in Netflix as "This sumptuously photographed drama focuses on 14-year-old Michiel as he wrestles with family loyalties, painful choices between safety and courage, and the harsh realities of the last, desperate winter of World War II."

4. David and Lisa (1962)- One of the early efforts from hugely under appreciated director Frank Perry about an emotionally damaged couple becoming attracted to each other.

5. The Housemaid (2011)- "A wealthy family's new maid, Eun-yi (Do-yeon Jeon), attracts the attention of Hoon (Jung-Jae Lee), the man of the house, and a fiery affair develops between them. But although Hoon signs Eun-yi's checks, he's not the one controlling the relationship. One secret leads to another, until Eun-yi threatens to destroy the entire family. This update of the 1960 chiller was an Official Selection of the 2010 Cannes Film Festival."

6. Unforgiveable (2012)- Latest subtle thriller from Andre Techine that has crept on several critics year end lists.

7. Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner (1962)- Rewatch of this terrific existential British drama.

8. Nenette et Boni (1996)- I guess this was released on DVD recently with little fanfare. It's one of the few Claire Denis films I haven't seen and plan on remedying that soon.

9. Bigger Than Life (1956)- After I finish up my current appreciation of director Shohei Imamura (post coming soon), filmmaker Nick Ray is the next director whose total career I'll jump into.

10. Burst City (1982)- More craziness from Sogo Ishii.

No comments: