Saturday, December 12, 2009

What's In the Netflix Queue #26

First, anyone else think it's kinda cheap for Netflix to charge $4 more a month for Blu Ray releases?

1. A Tale of Sorrow- Just like Takashi Miike, Sejun Suzuki films are continually released on DVD with little fanfare. Maybe it's because both of these guys deal prolifically in demented sex, surreal ideas and maniacal colors. This film from 1977 is a "cat-and-mouse tale that traces model and pro golfer Reiko's (Yoko Shiraki) encounters with the dark side of celebrity after she wins her first tournament, lands a TV gig and acquires a bizarre stalker -- her nutty neighbor, Mrs. Semba. The crazed woman is privy to a dangerous secret and forces Reiko to submit to a series of increasingly violent demands. Little does she know that Reiko will fight when provoked."
2. The Insect Woman- I'm very excited to see this film from Shohei Imamura that was put out in a triple pack of previously unreleased films.
3. I Can No Longer Hear the Guitar- French filmmaker Philip Garrel has his admirers. While I did like his poetic, three hour black and white meditation on the '68 student protests "Regular Lovers" (which featured two or three exquisite long takes), some of the other things I've seen from him border on the tedious. This film from 1991 again deals with his ongoing theme of burgeoning and lost one-time love (said to be rock singer Nico).
4. Edge of Darkness- Already halfway through this BBC mini series, this has been remade as a Mel Gibson thriller releasing early next year. With a wonderful, stone cold performance by Bob Peck and an amusing turn from Joe Don Baker, "Edge of Darkness" is a convoluted trip through nuclear politics, British spooks and hit men that has kept me guessing. This goes to show that the BBC were way ahead of their time in the mid 80's with stellar original television programming.
5. Three Brothers- Franceso Rosi's early 80's Italian classic has been cited as an influence on Scorsese and Coppola.
6. Scott Walker; 20th Century Man- This documentary has been floundering on my list for over a year now, so I recently moved it up. I know very little about musician Scott Walker, but the raves attributed to this film a couple years ago has me very interested.
7. Une Femme Marie- I think I've seen this mid 60's Godard film, but can't be sure. Still, this is way before his radical (and alienating) period, so by all means I'll probably adore it.
8. Local Hero- For whatever reason, Bill Forsyth is a filmmaker lauded by so many movie fans and one that I've yet to experience. "Local Hero" is spoken of very highly as a tiny miracle of a movie.
9. The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes- I had no idea Billy Wilder made in film in 1970 that shows Holmes as a cocaine addicted, sexual deviant. Sure to be bolstered by the upcoming Holmes film with Downey Jr, I'm very curious to check out this oddity.
10. The Hit - I'm sure I've seen Stephen Frears breakout hit starring Terence Stamp, yet I can't remember a thing abut it. Time for a revisit, since it's recently gotten the Criterion treatment.

4 comments:

TALKING MOVIEzzz said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
RC said...

Woa, that Billy Wilder info is a surprise to me too! You'll definitly have to report on how that film is.

Joe Baker said...

No idea Capaldi was in this. Will do.

RC, it's funny because Robert Horton at his blog (http://roberthorton.wordpress.com/) just called "The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes his favorite movie of 1970! Where has this talk for this movie been?

TALKING MOVIEzzz said...
This comment has been removed by the author.