Monday, March 23, 2009

Miscellaneous Ramblings

I've got a grab-bag of thoughts and clips in this post. Nothing of real substance here... although I'll be seeing my 4th new film in 7 days either Wednesday or Thursday- so there's some reviews-a-comin'.

First, everyone needs to check out this post from Sergio Leone and the Infield Fly Rule blog. Not only does it strike at the heart for so many of us film-obsessed fans, but it floods back my own memories of buying and devouring film books back in the late 80's and early 90's and being just as heartbroken about not being able to see the films mentioned. I'm trying to rectify that now, but some titles from the wonderful books of Jonathan Rosenbaum or Amos Vogel's "Film As A Subjective Art" still (and probably always will) elude me.

Over the past year or so, I've come to grow and really appreciate the humor of South Park. I'm not sure how big the following for this show still is, but for me, I find myself eagerly awaiting each week's new episode. While the early years seemed to be an excuse for potty-mouthed humor, the last 3-4 seasons feel like some of the most incisive social and political humor available today. I smile just thinking about the "Heavy Metal episode" with Kenny... or the old west recreation town whose actors refuse to break character even when terrorists attack.... and especially the World of Warcraft episode. Then, last week, we get a "Dark Knight" episode that is so perfectly written and executed, it makes me wish Trey Parker and Matt Stone were given more chances in the film world. I guess now I have to see "Baseketball". And Butters is one of my favorite characters... ever.



And two recently released trailers. First, Michael Mann's "Public Enemies". Seeing this trailer in front of "Watchmen" was worth the price of admission. Much has been made about Mann's preference to go HD digital with this film, but I think it looks striking. The scene where the inmates are being led into the jail with the camera poised to highlight the blue sky overtaking the frame is vintage Mann and I trust the 30's locale will mesh beautifully with the cinematography. I cannot wait for this movie.



Lastly, I'm not a huge, huge fan of comedies on the big screen, yet the Broken Lizard comedy troupe have continually surprised and engaged me with their films. I still maintain that "Club Dread" is an overlooked gem. Now, the Lizard is back with another film that looks to carry forward their energetic brand of comedy, mixing high-brow and low-brow laughs into a go-for-broke experience. Enjoy the red band trailer.

3 comments:

PIPER said...

I have seen the Public Enemies Trailer twice now and it's the muddiest audio I have ever heard - which is kind of interesting because I've always felt that Mann's movies are mixed weird.

And I"m crossing my fingers that Broken Lizard's new movie is Super Troopers gold. I was more scared by Club Dread, but I need to watch it again. The human Pac Man is comedy gold, though.

Chris Gaubatz said...

I'll second your sentiments on, 'Club Dread'. I contend that it is funnier than, 'Super Troopers', by a long shot! With such classic lines as, "We have jungle rats!", and "you just shat in the one apple pie that knows how to shit back", and, "Amy aerobics died? How'd she die?...she didn't die of a fat ass, I tell you that"...I just think people are caught off guard when they see a broken lizard film because they expect the essence of Super Troopers every time, and BR is going in a million other directions. I liken this phenomena to the Cohen brothers supposed missteps with Intolerable Cruelty and Burn After Reading. Smart comedies, but no where in the vicinity of Fargo, Big L, or No Country, so they are largely ignored. If we watch these movies on their own merit, without making comparisons, we can see them for the classics they are.

Joe Baker said...

Piper,

I think you're right. I remember having to strain to hear some of Colin Farell's lines in "Miami Vice". I haven't noticed this in other Mann films, though.

Chris, god I love Club Dread, and those quotes just reminded me why. I certainly need to dust off my copy and re-watch it tonight!